Take me back home [..]
A MANIFESTO FOR HDI RESEARCH
3 reasons for a HDI research manifesto:
- To resist technological solutionism (and design thinking!) – instead of could we, ask should we.
- Data is having real-world impact. Use contemporary issues (e.g. Covid) to show how it impacts every citizen.
- A manifesto can communicate to different stakeholders – beyond our academic bubbles – the importance of data, and HDI.
3 key questions that HDI research needs to address:
- What is the point of data, and how do we define its multiple perspectives?
- What is agency anyway… who’s agency? (think globally!)
- What does the pathway to ‘full stack’ HDI look like?
3 key actions for HDI research:
- Research how to facilitate education on data awareness as a civic act
- Research tools and technologies to enable gathering, sensemaking of personal data and making use of your own data
- Research how to influence policy so that data holding organisations are required to be more legible (explain more) and be more human centric (offer HDI capabilities)